The Society Office at Reading School
maintains a database of alumni, friends and supporters in order to stay in touch with our community and keep you updated about news, events, careers initiatives and fundraising activities. The general privacy notice applicable to alumni, friends and supporters can be found on the Reading School website’s policies page
Some of our database (but not all) choose to join our online community by registering on this website and creating an online profile. In both instances (individuals with offline database records and individuals with online profiles), we collect and store personal information (or “data”) about you. If an individual joins our online community, information is collected on, and used (“processed”) via ToucanTech, which is the platform on which this community is built. We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This Policy sets out what information we collect about you, where and how we use it.
We may change this Policy from time to time. If we make any significant changes we will advertise this on the website or contact you directly with the information. Please check this page occasionally to make sure you are happy with any changes.
If you have any questions about this Policy or concerning your personal information, please contact Dominic Taylor, Chief Operating Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and any subsequent UK legislation covering data protection, the Data Controller is the Society Office at Reading School. What type of personal information we collect
The information we have about you depends on where we collect it, but may include:
How we use your information
- First name
- Last name
- Date of birth
- Family relationships
- Years at Reading School
- Higher education and work details
- Participation in our events, emails, competitions, surveys and other activities
- Donations made to Reading School
- Log-ins, activity on the website and the corresponding IP Address.
- A record of payments made via the website or through payment service providers we use such as trybooking.com (but we do not store your credit/ debit card details as these are processed securely externally by a third-party payment provider) which could include event tickets, shop purchases or online donations
- Consent options and communication preferences
- Content (such as announcements, stories, photos, documents, comments, events, jobs) that you post on this website or provide to us by other means
- Messages that you send to other community members via the direct messaging system when logged in to this website
We will use your personal information in a number of ways, always with a legal basis for processing your data. These may include:
Updating your consent preferences
- providing you with the information or updates that you have asked for
- sending you communications (with your consent if required) that may be of interest, including invites to events, newsletters and fundraising campaigns
- delivering our obligations under any contract between us
- seeking your views on the services or activities we carry out so that we can make improvements
- updating our database records and ensuring we know how you prefer to be contacted
- analysing engagement with our website and other content to help us improve our services for you
- running our mentoring programme/ club activities/ reunion events/ sports fixtures
If you have an online profile on this website you can update your consent options by logging-in and clicking on “My Settings” in your profile. Scroll down to find your ‘Consent options’ where you will see a list of consents and the options “opt-in”, “opt-out” and “unspecified”.
Via ‘My Settings’ you can also choose to hide your profile from Google, limit access to your profile so that it’s only viewable to your connections, and adjust some of the automatic notifications that you receive from this website. Please note that your name (but not
full profile) may appear in various places around the community website, such as a ‘Recent Joiners’ box and in ‘Search’ results irrespective of the privacy settings you have selected.
If we are using consent as our legal basis for processing your data, we must have an explicit “opt-in” from you for this specific type of processing.
If we are using legitimate interests as our legal basis for processing your data, we will process your data responsibly in a way that you would reasonably expect, and you can opt-out at any stage.
If you click ‘unsubscribe’ at the bottom of one of our emails sent you will be automatically opted-out of these types of email communications in the future.
If you want to contact us about your consent preferences please contact The Society Office
at Reading School by email at email@example.com
. How we keep your information safe
We understand the importance of keeping your personal information secure and take appropriate steps to safeguard it.
Your data is stored on a dedicated, secure cloud server hosted by Amazon Web Services (AWS) in the EU and managed by our website provider, ToucanTech
. Industry-standard firewalls, anti-virus, encryption and back-up methods are in place, as well as strict data handling protocols.
We always ensure only authorised persons have access to your information, which means only our approved employees and contractors, and that everyone who has access is appropriately trained in data management.
If you have an online profile for this website you are responsible for keeping your login details (email and password) confidential and we ask that you do not share your password with anyone.
No data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. So, whilst we strive to safeguard your information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you provide online and you do this at your own risk. Who has access to your information?
- Third parties who provide services for us in the routine operations of this website, for example, payments services for alumni events (trybooking.com in particular). We select our third-party service providers with care. We provide these third parties with the information that is necessary to provide the service and we will have an agreement in place that requires them to operate with the same care over data protection as we do.
- Third parties if we run an event in conjunction with the. We will let you know how your data is used when you register for any event
- Web hosting, email hosting, analytics and search engine providers that enable us to run our community database and improve our website and its use
- Third parties in connection with restructuring or reorganisation of our operations, for example if we merge with another business. In such event, we will take steps to ensure your privacy rights will be protected by the third party
Note: ToucanTech, the platform for this online community, does not transfer the personal data of EU customers outside of the EEA
Other than this, we will not share your information with other organisations without your consent. Use of aggregated data
Where data can be aggregated and anonymised, our website provider (ToucanTech) might use this for research purposes without restriction. For example, they may monitor traffic patterns, site usage, response rates and data trends to help make improvement to the website software. They are entitled to do this because the resulting data will not personal identify you and will therefore no longer constitute personal data for the purposes of data protection laws.
If you are not happy with the way in which we have processed or dealt with your information, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office. Further details about how to complain can be found here
This Policy was last updated in August 2019